MGen partnered with New Growth B.V., a wholly-owned subsidiary of EGCO of Thailand to develop a 460MW (net) coal-fired power project in Mauban, Quezon that will be the first power generation facility in the country to utilize supercritical boiler technology.
Compared to sub-critical power plants, supercritical coal-fired power plants operate at increasingly higher temperatures and pressures achieving higher efficiencies and significant CO2 reductions.
Supercritical steam cycle technology has been used for decades and is becoming the system of choice for new commercial coal-fired plants in many countries.
MGen has a 51% stake in the project with New Growth B.V. owning the remaining 49%.
The facility will be located in Mauban, Quezon Province beside the existing 460MW (net) power plant of Quezon Power (Philippines) Ltd. that is majority-owned by EGCO of Thailand.
The project targets to be in commercial operation by the first half of 2019.